Monday 21 July 2014

Lower engine assembly

I have virtually completed the lower assembly of the engine. The crankshaft is finished and finally assembled with con rod inside the crankcase. 

You can see that the crankshaft has 6 holes on the counterweight area. These will be filled with tungsten bars. This is to adjust the amount of weight on the counterweight as well as keeping the inertia low. On the V8 one I might not do it as it is a lot of hassle as the tungsten is really hard to work with. I have to use a right angle grinder and because the pieces are so tiny it is quite a dangerous job.

The bolts to on the con rod are M2. I will replace the current stainless steel by 12.9 steel ones.

The cylinder liner is from a Lapped internal H7 steel off the self tube, that I turned to fit the aluminium engine block. It is not hardened but I hope it will be just fine for this test engine.

I am going to use gasket sealant, like Loctite 5800 as I do not plan to use any joints on between the crankcase and engine block.






No comments:

Post a Comment